Few weeks back i read an article on Rony's blog..."Why can't we quit smoking" and it influenced me so much that today with reference to that article I would like to mention some benefits of smoking cigarettes which I guess many of us do not know..!!
Basically, I like to smoke and of course I didn't start smoking after going thro such rigorous investigations on the benefits of smoking. I think smoking is really enjoyable and I think it feels great!!... But some non-smokers always keep nagging about the harmful effects of smoking and force me to quit..! But they don't know...that somehow, behind the curtain, smoking is affecting my life for good!!...Altho, they say, it decrease your lifespan...still...I do not want to be a dementia sufferer living for years as a burden on others!!..ok, Enough of lectures, lets now focus on the benefits of smoking...
1. Smoking provides pleasure in terms of euphoria and, of course, reduced withdrawal symptoms from those addicted to nicotine.
2. Smoking produces decreased tension and an anxiolytic effect – a tranquilising effect and reduced muscle tension. It implies Nesbitt’s paradox - smoking generates physiological and psychological changes normally thought of as incompatible, namely increased arousal and awareness with decreased stress. It stimulates concentration but keeps you calm. A great combination!
3. Nicotine probably helps ADHD sufferers reduce their ‘attentional deficits’.
4. Smoking probably reduces problems associated with Alzheimer’s disease and perhaps schizophrenia.
5. Higher nicotine cigarettes produce greater improvements in information processing than low nicotine cigarettes.
6. Smoking improves motor performance. - "0530. London University, Institute of Psychiatry."
7. Smokers have less plaque and more tooth mobility than non-smokers.
8. Smokers have lower incidence of postoperative deep vein thrombosis than non smokers.
9. Hypertension is less common among smokers.
10. High blood pressure and postpartum hemorrhage are less common among smokers.
11. RBCs [red blood cells] from cigarette smokers contain more glutathione and catalase and protect lung endothelial cells against O2 [dioxide] metabolites better than RBCs from nonsmokers.
12. Smoking protects against Parkinson’s disease.
13. Nonsmokers and especially ex-smokers of cigarettes have greater risk of UC [ulcerative colitis]
14. Smoking also acts as an appetite suppressant by reducing the desire for sweet food and carbohydrates.
Thats all I could gather for my article and I think Its enough..!!!...isn't it?? Ya, You might say that there are many more points against smoking...but still...Whilst I appreciate that smoking is not for everyone I think it is a reasonable lifestyle choice for those who choose to enjoy, recognizing the risks involved.
To know more.......KEEP SMOKING!!